oh, monday.


Well, today's level of perfection far exceeded my expectations. I woke up earlier than I needed to but found the missing screw for my sunglasses (miraculously in my giant backpack) as a reward. In Milan, I needed to print a seat reservation but didn't have the necessary information. (Thank you, internet.) Despite the mishap, a train crew member suggested I board the train and find a free seat, which happened quite easily. The ticket-checkers accepted my Eurail pass without a reservation, and I was able to stay in my place the entire ride. Half way through the trip, I dozed off and then woke as we exited a tunnel and the Alps loomed over us in all their glory. Saying "I was speechless" doesn't really mean anything; I don't talk to myself on trains. But you get it - the mountains were spectacular.

After dropping my backpack at the hostel, I grabbed a city map and went for a walk. During this walk, I did many perfect things:
-ate Swiss chocolate while staring at the Alps
-wandered through the woods (or a wooded area in the city)
-almost cried because that was the closest I had been to nature in weeks (aside from the iris garden Henni and I sat in on Wednesday)
-saw some bears (not in "the woods" - they were in captivity)
-crossed a few bridges
-read a few signs for interesting art/museum exhibitions
-realized how hip this city is
-struggled with the concept of the exchange rate (which is something I generally understand)
-nibbled some more chocolate
-decided I was hungry for dinner

Switzerland ain't cheap y'all, but I found a moderately priced restaurant and ordered some Swiss food. A giant plate of hash browns topped with melted cheese and vegetables was my dinner. Another walk was necessary after that heavy meal, so I crossed some more bridges and watched the sun set. 

The Swiss city is a secret. I'll show you some pictures on Wednesday, and then you have to guess! Am I a trickster or what?

I hope you guys have had a fantastic Monday as well. Tomorrow I head back to Utrecht for one more month of school. It's been a great three weeks, but I'm ready to sleep in "my bed."
xoxo//hc

No comments: